You can complain if you’re unhappy with the way you’re treated by any of the services supporting you after a crime.

Complaints are handled differently, depending on whether they're about: 

  • a public service, such as the police, Witness Care Unit or the Crown Prosecution Service 
  • a local charity or specialist support service

Complaining about a public service

The government has set out a minimum level of service you should receive from organisations like the police. It’s called the Victims’ Code. If you don't get what you're entitled to under the code, you can make a complaint.

The steps to making a complaint

  1. Take your complaint to the person you’ve been dealing with
  2. If you can’t talk to this person or are unhappy with their response, make a formal complaint to the place where they work
  3. If necessary, that organisation will forward your complaint to the right place and let you know

You should receive an acknowledgement within 10 working days and be told when to expect a response.

Where to complain 

If you're still not satisfied, you can ask your local Member of Parliament to pass your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Complaining about a charity or specialist support service

Many local charities and services aren't covered by the Victims' Code. But they will have their own complaints process. 

  • Start by making a complaint direct to the charity or service
  • If you're unhappy with their response, you can call your local support team. You'll find their number by entering your postcode in the box at the bottom of this page.