You may be eligible for compensation if you:

  • are a victim of a crime
  • are a close relative of someone who has died because of a crime
  • witnessed a serious crime, intervened and were seriously injured

There are several ways to get compensation. 


There might be benefits you can claim if you're recovering from serious injuries. 

If a relative has died, you may be entitled to bereavement benefits.

If you disagree with a benefits decision, you can apply to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal.


If an offender's found guilty, the judge may make them pay you a sum of money as part of their sentence. 

This is called a Compensation Order.

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)

You might be eligible to apply to CICA

This government fund is only available to victims of violent crime who have not been able to claim compensation through courts, insurance companies or benefits payments. 

You’ll normally need to apply within 2 years of the incident and you must have cooperated with any investigations. CICA will let you know if any other conditions might be relevant.

Most victims can expect to receive a decision on their application within 12 months.

There are a lot of organisations that offer free advice and can help you apply. You won’t need to use a solicitor or claims management company. Contact your local support team for help.

If you disagree with CICA's decision, you can apply to the First-tier Tribunal (Criminal Injuries Compensation).


You might be able to make an insurance claim if:

  • your insurance covers a property crime like theft or vandalism
  • your employer has insurance to cover injury or death at work 
  • you know who committed the crime - you might be able to make a claim against their insurance policy

If you disagree with an insurer's decision you can apply to the Financial Ombudsman.

If you disagree with an employer's decision, you can speak to ACAS.